Monday, February 15, 2010

Your Lord and Master Stands on High, Playing Track Seven

You may have been wondering why I haven’t spoken about the Colonial Invaders™ in a while. They have been away!

Actually, they’ve been away for quite a long time. It’s funny, because they were here all through last semester’s finals and the first week of the winter break (which is, here, mid-January to early February). Spring semester classes started on the 8th, but neither of the Invaders is back.

Their stuff is still all around: shoe rack in the private corridor, lots of bathroom supplies, three rolls of toilet paper (for some reason they don’t go through one roll and then start on the next. It has creeped me out all these months. For what purpose would one need to start a new roll of toilet paper when the old one hadn’t finished yet?)

Existential crises involving toilet paper aside, that’s why I haven’t been using my private-public forum to complain. I get home, and when I lock the outer door behind me, it’s like I have my own apartment! With a lot of young neighbors. And a fridge that is a stack of food items pressed up against the glass.

Edit: I should have realized the ironic twist the universe seems to be rocking these days. The morning after I wrote this post I woke up at 6:30 to the sound of a key turned in the latch, and showers run, and a toilet flushed. And then a key turned in the latch again.

When I got up for real real at 8 there was no sign that my lords and masters were here (their shoes weren’t in the hallway) except that their bathrobes are gone. Presumably on their bodies. But I haven’t heard any noises from their room. So. I don’t get it.

No comments: