Sunday, September 26, 2010

Because Weather is Determinism.

When I ran this morning, the chill wind blew on my face like so many 5k's I used to race. Fresh-cut grass mixed with the scent of dying leaves. The little children screamed.

There was a taste to my saliva, that mixture of lactic acid crystallized by the same cold air, that doesn't come in the sun and heat. I wondered what special children's soccer league might have them running up and down the fields at this time of year, what socioeconomic tendencies I might assume from year-long soccer drills, when I remembered.

I had forgotten about fall. The wind was chill, the leaves were dying, the children were screaming - because it's fall.

This is supposed to happen.

1 comment:

Miriam Vaswani said...

This is so lovely I'd like to comment on it, but I don't want to detract from the loveliness by saying silly words.

You're right though, Andrew. Fall happens every time in our hemisphere.

This is a wild deviation from what you're saying, but this reminded me of being further toward the equator and people asking me with a shade of disbelief 'are there seasons in your country?'